I love this flash application from Gary Hayes at Personalize Media, showing just how active the social web is in realtime. It’s one of those very simple social applications that just works, no explanation needed. If you can’t grasp the size of the social web using this, you’re a tough sell. It was also featured on Media Guardian this week.
According to the blog post, Gary will be finessing the design and adding extra functionality (such as week, month & year lookahead/backs plus dynamic data input).
He has also provided a useful rundown of current stats that were used to develop the counter based on data he pulled from a range of social media sources and compiled at the end of September 2009.
- 20 hours of video uploaded every minute onto YouTube (source YouTube blog Aug 09)
- Facebook 600k new members per day, and photos, videos per month, 700m & 4m respectively (source Inside Facebook Feb 09)
- Twitter 18m new users per year & 4 m tweets sent daily (source TechCrunch Apr 09)
- iPolicy UK – SMS messaging has a bright future (Aug 09)
- 900, 000 blogs posts put up every day (source Technorati State of the Blogosphere 2008)
- YouTube daily, 96m videos watched, $1m bandwidth costs (source Comscore Jul 06 !)
- UPDATE: YouTube 1Billion watched per day SMH (2009)- counter updated!
- Second Life 250k virtual goods made daily, text messages 1,250 per second (source Linden Lab release Sep 09)
- Money – $5.5 billion on virtual goods (casual & game worlds) even Facebooks gifts make $70 million annually (source Viximo Aug 09)
- Flickr has 73m visitors a month who upload 700m photos (source Yahoo Mar 09)
- Mobile social network subscribers – 92.5m at the end of 2008, by end of 2013 rising to between 641.6-873.1m or 132m annually (source Informa PDF)
- SMS – Over 2.3 trillion messages will be sent across major markets worldwide in 2008 (source Everysingleoneofus sms statistics)
You can download the counter for yourself here.